Address: 390 Hackensack Avenue, Hackensack, NJ, 07601
- 10:00 - 21:30 ( Mon - Fri ) 10:00 - 21:00 ( Sat ) closed ( Sun )
The Shops at Riverside is a two-level enclosed shopping mall, located in Hackensack, New Jersey, United States, off of Route 4, along the Hackensack River. The mall has a Gross leasable area (GLA) of 674,416 sq ft (62,655.3 m²). The "lavishly appointed" mall opened on March 10, 1977 with 620,000 sq ft (58,000 m²) of retail space, which included a 237,000 sq ft (22,000 m²) Bloomingdale's (expanded from an original freestanding site opened in 1959) and a 107,000 sq ft (9,900 m²) Saks Fifth Avenue. Until 2005, the shopping center was known as Riverside Square Mall.
The Shops at Riverside is a very high-end mall which caters to the affluent suburban areas surrounding Hackensack in Bergen, Essex, and Passaic Counties in New Jersey as well as Rockland County in New York State. In addition, a number of shoppers from New York City, particularly Manhattan, are drawn to the mall for its upscale offerings minus the New York sales tax on clothing.
The mall only has about 70 stores. Most of these are luxury designer brands, including Burberry, Tiffany & Co., and Louis Vuitton.
The Shops at Riverside is popular for its restaurants, including The Cheesecake Factory, Morton's Steakhouse, Houston's, McCormick & Schmick's, P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Rosa Mexicano, Maggiano's Little Italy, and Thai Chef. The restaurants are open seven days a week.
Other than Barnes & Noble, all of the retail stores are open Monday through Saturday, and closed on Sundays.History
Originally a freestanding Bloomingdale's built in 1959, an enclosed mall was opened in 1977, and the shopping center became known as Riverside Square Mall. The original mall had a Southern California feel, with terra cotta tile, red brick, and skylights. In 1995, after years of declining traffic and lost tenants, the mall was completely renovated with new marble floors, glass railings, and comfortable seating.From 2005-2008; The Shops at Riverside added 248,000 square feet (23,000 m²) of retail and dining space, including thirty new stores and three restaurants. Much of the space that was added is in a portion of the mall reclaimed from Bloomingdale's. The original Bloomingdale's Home Store bisected the mall, and was moved to the north end of the existing Bloomingdale's. The expansion added 3 restaurants including P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Maggiano's Little Italy, and Rosa Mexicano. It also added a new concourse that linked the north corridor surrounding Tiffany & Co. to the south corridor which is in part of the former Bloomingdale's Home Store (Opened 1959), where The Cheesecake Factory is located.