Address: 9500 S. Western Ave., Evergreen Park, IL, 60805
- 10:00 - 20:00 ( Mon - Sat ) 11:00 - 18:00 ( Sun )
Coordinates: 41²43?06?N 87²40?60?W? / ?41.7184, -87.6833 The Plaza, formerly known as Evergreen Plaza, is an enclosed shopping mall located in Evergreen Park, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. The mall's anchor stores are Carson Pirie Scott and Office Depot; it also features over 120 stores, as well as a food court. Having opened in 1952, The Plaza is considered the first major regional shopping center in the country.History
In 1936, Developer Arthur Rubloff first conceived a shopping mall in the Evergreen Park area located between the corners of W 95th Street and Western Ave, 98th Street and Western Ave, 98th Street Slightly west of Campbell Ave, 96th Street and Campbell Ave and 95th and Campbell Ave. Opened to the public in 1952, the mall was originally a 500,000 square foot open-air shopping center anchored by The Fair Store, Lytton's and Walgreens. The center also contained a supermarket, which featured a conveyor belt that carried groceries from the store to a parking lot kiosk. The mall's Walgreens was the second self-service Walgreen pharmacy in the chain; it was also the chain's first location in a shopping center.
Chas. A. Stevens added a store to the mall in 1962. Carson Pirie Scott was added as another anchor, and the mall was later enclosed. Also, The Fair Store was converted to Montgomery Ward in the 1970s. Circuit City came in the early 1990s, replacing a Silo electronics store that was formerly in this space. Other additions over time included a food court.
Montgomery Ward closed its four-story store in 2001 as the chain declared bankruptcy. Shortly aferward, Village of Evergreen Park officials submitted proposals for Target Corporation to open in the former Wards; however, these deals fell through.Discount chain National Wholesale Liquidators opened in 2005, occupying two levels of the four-level anchor slot once occupied by Montgomery Ward. Walgreens closed in 2005, and has been replaced with Office Depot. Also, Circuit City closed in mid 2005 as well.
The Plaza Shopping Center in the media
By Doris Hajewski of the Journal Sentinel The Lang store in the Plaza shopping center on W. Blue Mound Rd. at N. Calhoun Rd. will close Feb. 27. ...
- From Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (blog), @ The Plaza Shopping C
It's tucked away in The Plaza Shopping Center area near The Barrel Room and URGE American Gastropub: 16769 Bernardo Center Dr. K8.; 858-618-2400. ...
- From Patch, @ The Plaza Shopping C
31--Last week Sonya Jones peered at the $3.01 sign hanging at her favorite gas station, situated in The Plaza shopping center. It was still a little less ...
- From istockAnalyst.com (press release), @ The Plaza Shopping C
... main campus and for the aircraft mechanic training program to move from the former Rose's building at The Plaza shopping center in mid-town Lynchburg. ...
- From Liberty News, @ The Plaza Shopping C
Tonya Anderson had filled her cart at the Plaza Shopping Center Piggly Wiggly with food in case power went out but added she was going to buy condensed milk ...
- From ENC Today, @ The Plaza Shopping C